Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Special Line

We love our infusion company ThriveRx.  Our ThriveRx consumer advocate Ann Weaver authored a wonderful children's book titled "My Special Line" about a kid with a special central line like Little Ad.  Rosie and Addy love to read it together.  

I love how responsible the girls have become in caring for Addy's medical accessories, and how the words line, tube, syringe, tegaderm, gloves, gel, Elecare, TPN, saline, and heparin are all normal parts of Rosie and Addy's everyday vocabulary, and how Addy carries her bag with fluids and pumps around with her on her own wherever she goes, and how Rosie at only age 2-and-a-half can troubleshoot a beeping pump all by herself.  Little genuises, I love them.

More about Addy's central line and her little buddy 'Testine-- click Read more link under photo


Here is Addy's central line, just like the kid in the book above-- baby Addy on the left, and big girl Addy on the right.  (Related post: Bathing a baby with a central line - Broviac)


And here is Rosie and Addy's friend 'testine.  It's a supercute plush intestine from iheartguts.com.  We gave it an NG and a central line too.  When I was little, I didn't know anyone with a feeding tube or central line, and I might have thought that 'testine looked weird, maybe might have stared (like some people do when we are at walk-mart or the mall).... but not Rosie and Addy.  Rosie and Addy are way cooler and smarter than I ever was.  Rosie and Addy love 'testine and think that 'testine is so cute.  They give 'testine big hugs and check 'testine's breathing and bowel tones with their (real) stethoscope.  My kids are awesome.

No comments: